Sunday, October 17, 2010

Choke Canyon Hawg!!!! 10/17

Had a great time this weekend fishing with the bass club at Choke! The highlight of the weekend was catching this 10lb 2oz, 26.5" monster!! This was my new personal best bass, and it gave me the best bass fight I've ever had. I hooked her on a Texas rigged 8" black neon GrandeBass Megatail Rattlesnake, with a Gamakatsu 4/0 superline hook and tru-tungsten sinker. I was fishing 20lb test flourocarbon with my custom "rattlesnake rod" built on a Phenix 707H blank. She was hanging on a deep point in a hydrilla bed in about 15'. I had my drag cranked down tight, and once she realized she was hooked, the fight got very intense. She ripped drag and took me on a big loop around the boat and came close to breaking me off on both the trolling motor and the outboard. I was very happy that I had the extra length of that 7'7" rod to be able to sweep under the engine and keep things under control. When we finally got her in the net, I was shaking, hyperventilating and my heart was pounding out of my chest, and that didn't stop for about 20-30 minutes!! I'm so excited to have caught this fish, and am very happy to be the newest member of the double digit club. Of all the fish I've caught, this one will be one of the most memorable. We kept her in good shape, and she was released in great condition. This fish won big bass for the tournament and took the lead for big bass of the year for Big Sandy Creek bass club. If it holds up, it's going to be a nice payout in December!! The last pic is to give some perspective. The fish on the right is a 14.5" keeper bass! Big thanks to Bryan Cotter (http://www.texashawgs.com/) for running me around the lake all weekend and putting me on the fish of my lifetime so far!



4 comments: